Monday, February 18, 2008

SPLICE!

This is a note-taking technique i learned from Inang Tanlayco. To splice is to cut (i.e., scissor) notes/data from different sources for re-pasting in order to recognize a comprehensible sequence of narrative. Splicing is a manual copy-paste method that is used to develop an idea/story. When something new is developed and the sources are cited, it's okay - otherwise, your paper's plagiarized.

Last week was devotedly spent in compiling the articles to be included in the fifth volume of our quadricentennial project. Being such an OC, I made it sure that all the articles are neatly compiled and consistent to our Master List. I even skipped my thursday class at alliance just to make it sure that it can be forwarded to Dr. Pasricha on saturday morning. However, Dr. Co (the editor) wanted to have a final look and so the deadline had been moved to this week.

I was able to accomplish my tasks on friday afternoon and was so eager to give it so we can move to our other pending jobs. I was able to compile two big binders, with a reproduced version of four uni-bound (snappy copy-bound) volumes -- neatly arranged and quadruple-checked. I thought that it would only take a look from Dr Co for its approval. But I was wrong.

After the fifth and final check of the sequence, he expressed his joy about the completion of articles, only that he had just thought of a better way of organizing them. Spurred as though a better idea really came out, he immediately asked for the Master List and started to cut the articles into pieces. He asked for an extra sheet of paper to which I was asked to paste the "new sequence". Then he dropped the bomb, "we're not giving this yet to josie, we have to rearrange these articles."

Shucks, babaklasin ang uni-bind. Gagawa ng bagong title pages. Gagawa ng nth version ng masterlist.

I must have turned pale and the venerable master must have noticed it, and so he said, "it's gonna be okay Liz. Nothing's wrong. Never mind. We have to do it. We have to do it." It took me five minutes to recover, but right then and there I have understood what he meant. We are up to an arrangement that can suggest a better perspective to our researchers. Then a teasing follow-up, "Don't cry Liz. It's okay." Yea it's true, splicing is very normal in research. Better this be done now.

Further thought made me think about life. Splicing indeed is very common. Sometimes, you just have to do abrupt cuts to find a better view or to set your story to a better direction. It could hurt, it is indeed disturbing, it is never comfortable -- but yes, "we just have to do it." Sometimes, to splice means to undo what has been done so we can do something new, or perhaps we can see things according to their proper perspectives. It means starting anew by throwing the trash and cutting unwanted edges - perhaps to save us from further trouble or perhaps not to be hurt by these same sharp edges.

Yea, just like any other research project, life is meant to be arranged. And perhaps for a better one, it is even subject to abrupt and painful re-arrangements. I'm not sure if I am already disposed to put up happy statements, but I just have to admit that I also have to be spliced.
(as if magulo talaga ang buhay ko. hehe.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home