Tuesday, April 01, 2008

to the slackers

Seeing the UST AB Philo Class 08 graduate yesterday made me recall how I started. Tempus fugit! I remember my first rollcall to this class during their Introduction to Philosophy class as a substitute teacher for Sir Reyes – I asked each of them, “why philo?” Then after everybody has answered, a welcome address, “welcome to hell.”

Hehe. Somebody confessed that they hated me for that, but perhaps they’re just too young then to realize that it was also a self-welcome address. But now I ask, had it really been hell for them? Had it really been hell for me?

Perhaps yes and no.

Why yes? I’ve walked out from this class for a couple of times. Maingay ang klaseng ito. I’ve called them “slackers” which was eventually converted as a term of endearment. There was a never schoolyear when I was not assigned to be their teacher at least in a subject. I thought that I could get away when I refused to be their research coordinator (kids, read: refused – hehe, I have my dissertation). But the truth is, my conscience bugged me. I should not have done that, and perhaps any close observer would know the repercussions. (no pun intended) Good thing, they’re blessed with good people to help them. Nonetheless, I was assigned to teach Aesthetics and then Existentialism. I never got away from them.

And why no? Because we have shared so many things while growing together. Because in that process, I’ve learned to love them. We’ve seen each others’ struggles – I’ve seen them grow and try hard to pass every subject, while they see me running around classrooms, libraries and research offices (my advisees must have already memorized my hideouts!). We must have already listened to each others’ heartaches, laughed, cried and drank together.

Now I shall miss Paeng’s lectures, Joey’s announcements, Joel being haggard and harassed, the athletes (being late), the ex-OPs who are seemingly silent (pero ang ingay pala), the right column girls (Nina, Paola, Tetay, Andee), Gino’s noise, Mark’s business deals, the Paeng-Shane rivalry/loveteam, Gozi’s multimedia, Margrein’s questions, Gay my little girl from Narvacan, Aina the Artist, Jang and her panic attacks, Rubelo and Jireh's jokes, Joachim's grand entrances. Hayh. Mamimiss ko rin pala. Hahaha.

I must have been too busy to miss so many things but I hope that they’ll bear in mind that I’m always with them. May their idealisms and aspirations never falter, and may they always remember the values that we have learned together out of the little things that we have discussed. The world outside the baccalaureate realm is harder and even if I know that some would still opt to pursue an academic life, be tough because life won’t be easy from this day on. Be strong, graceful and virtuous.

Like a parent who must give space to his/her child, carry on the task that you have imbibed. You do not have to give back, since it would be better if you give it to others. Should you decide to return, perhaps for a little rest, or perhaps to grow more, or fine, if you would really like to give it back to our Alma Mater – you’re always welcome.

See you soon, and hopefully at the Graduate School.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home